Week one in TALOYOAK..

Here and settled in. The apartment is directly accross from the Health Care Center- seen in first pho, in fact in what was the old Care center. Photo 2 is out the back window accross the arena. I am starting the p.m. shift tonight so will do a little walk and explore after lunch. the Center is amazing- like a small hospital without a permanent docter, manned by nurses, and paramedics of various degrees and specializations.There will be very much to do to start from a work perspective. The trip here took 4 days- it was too windy and no visibility for the plane to land day 3 so had to overnight in Cambridge Bay. People were as helpful as they can be, the lodge we stayed at was a one man show- shuttle driver, check in, and even made up hot food packages for the surprise arrivals as the kitchen was closed. The winter gear is all great,I can't foresee having any issues. But just wanted to get this started and see how it looks. Second Entry..
First photo today sort of a Lunemburg theme with the colours- except more snow. Last night while making patrils, and for my walk to the Northern Store, surprised that temps in the mid -20's doesn't seem that cold. Ians boots that I am weariing are AMAZING! heavy but toasty. I am finding that the parka that I bought is almost too warm- had to open it on the walk to let warm air out- may have to hang it up until it gets a little colder. Haven't even had to put on smowpants or longjohns yet. It is a "dry cold" apparently- wind will damage skin quickly, so always have a mask on hand or handy.
Walk today was to the Northern Store- at around 1:40 pm- toward sunset. There really is enough supplies in stock to get by quiite well- if you weren't concerned with prices- and some things maybe not quite as fresh as we are used to. Kirkland peppercorn grinder $32?? I did buy the little unknown name brand pepper for 7. Both the CO OP and Northern Store carry similar stuff- what one is short of the other seems to have.
The other half of my team is from St John NB and we are getting along great- on 12 hour shifts you only see each other for a quick briefing to and from shift. She's only been retired a few months, so is still busy and police-y. Staff at the Center are friendly and helpful- as you would expect. So far speaking with residents of the community has been very pleasant- everyone comes accross as friendly- generally quiet and not to talkative to start. (I know, I'll fit right in...)
Today on the road other than an oil truck, plow and a service vehicle, everything else is a ATV or snowmobile. I've seen a few pick ups around, but mostly everyones bombing around on the machines. In the last couple of days I've noticed too that there are more tracks people trail blazing accross any clearing available- to shortcut and or make the ride more exciting? and they're not slow. Back to figuring out getting more data on the phone plan. Everything is cell service for internet so hotspot tethering for the ipad, downloads, world cup game streaming. TV cable at the apartement is brutal (havent seen so much snow on a tv picture since I wa a kid). Have to ask if everyones is like that. Third Entry...
We asked to buy, and received an Arctic Char from one of the staff. It came frozen... Anyways, when theyre caught they just throw them on the ice- they freeze and they just stay that way until use. It just barely fit in the freezer at work, and I volunteered to be the cook. I was hoping that Simon who was working with me and knows about gutting and bone removal could help me (or do it for me and show me), but it didn't thaw in time and I was left to my devices. No pictures of the "process" (for sensitive viewers), but this is half of what I saved to cook tonight.
Will let you know how awesome it tastes. I was told I could just go on facebook and ask for other local meats, but I'll go through these people at the Center for know- everybody knows somebody- and I should be able to try a number of foods before too long. Headed to a craft show at the community center shortly- should be cool. Speaking of daylight, hard to say it is now by definition- by 730 its not pitch black anymore but just slightly lighter- pre dawn. Sun says really low on the horizon, then by 1 its street light time, 2 is dark. Yesterday I didn't see the light at all sleeping from 8am-3. Cool, two nights ago when I did my late tour outside, it looked like it had snowed- the railings and steel walkway had an inch of build up where I had walked 2 hour before. But I hadn't seen it snow and the sky was barely over cast. Ice fog. Its a thing. water droplets in the air become ice chrystals in this cold and settle on the cold surfaces looking like fluffy light snow.
..and maybe I was being a little cocky about the coat thing. At 5 in the morning on the 5th walkaround of the Center for the night- I kinda glad I have it. Fifth entry: Yes, the Char was amazing. Used a soya sauce/honey marinade/glaze and baked. Sooo tastey! I am looking forward to eating more- do it up maybe broiled? poached?
Feels little cooler tonight- throw in the light breeze and the chill makes it -40. Good night for the face covering. Yesterday and today community warnings- some wolves and a polar bear seen in the area. Thats good to know! No tracks around the Center that aren't mine so I hope I'm good. Craft fair was interesting... pretty small but fun to see it, and share my face to more of the community- judging from some of the looks they sure noticed me. Bought my first bannock- Rosie from the Center makes them and selling at the fair. Wow! Sort of twice the size of a large apple fritter without the apple and cinnamon and sugar and a little heavier. So good. Had to pass on the seal mitts, boots and blankets. I understand the value of the items and how the prices can be justified- but way out of my price range. There is a store in town that specializes in a few things that I would like to see and local items are made and/or sold through them- going to see next week how they look. I was talking to Simon the other night and asked about the arena and if there was any hockey. He said yes and that there was an annual tournement between the communities- but not until later in the winter and not in Taloyoak this year. I asked if the hockey was any good, like to go and watch. He said yes buy started to smile. I waved my elbow and make the signal for elbowing and said, "a little bit of this goes on?" Simon laughs and says, "Yes. There is a saying." "What happens in the arena stays in the arena." I guess hockey is a universal language in Canada and played the same everywhere.

Comments

  1. Those sunsets are beautiful- have you gotten any moose or fish yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Char tonight, and my contact thinks I will get Caribou, musk ox maybe, polar bear, and maybe seal. Too far north for moose!

      Delete
    2. That would be awesome- if you do get a bowl of stew go easy, our tummys aren't use to that type of meat. Amazing to try though

      Delete
  2. Yes, a beautiful sunset. How long is the daylight each day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roughly 4 hours. The sun I missed while sleeping yesterday apparently made a nice picture, but it has been cloudy or some overcast day and night most of the time so far here.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week Three in Taloyoak

Week two in Taloyoak